Foods That Can Help Keep the Teeth Whiter
Many foods and drinks can discolor and stain your teeth. Some of the most common include wine, coffee, tea, berries, and curries. However, some foods can have the opposite effect. These foods and drinks work in different ways to prevent or stop stains before they start.
1. Dark chocolate is a delicious treat, but it is also rich in antioxidants and a compound called theobromine. Theobromine helps keep dental enamel hard and less vulnerable to stains.
2. Green tea is less likely to stain your teeth than black tea. It contains tannins that keep teeth slippery, which prevents oral bacteria from sticking to your teeth. It also contains polyphenols that combat oral bacteria and neutralize acids. Finally, tea contains fluoride, which can harden enamel and reduce erosion.
3. Strawberries are richly colored, but that red is unlikely to penetrate your teeth and leave its color behind because these little berries contain malic acid, which actually helps remove stains from teeth.
4. Cheese is an excellent tooth-friendly food because it is high in calcium, which is a critical building block of teeth. However, it improves the oral pH level, which decreases the acidity of your mouth and combats enamel erosion and discolorations.
5. Apples, nuts, pears, and seeds are crunchy, flavorful snacks that help stimulate saliva flow, which rinses debris from your teeth and keeps acid levels under control. However, they also help by physically scrubbing plaque and superficial stains from your teeth.
Call us today to learn more about how you can keep your smile its whitest or to schedule an appointment with our expert in teeth whitening in Northridge.
Back to Blog